Introduction to Tiso Blackstar Group SE (Tiso Blackstar or the Company)
Tiso Blackstar is a media, entertainment and marketing solutions company operating market leading newspaper, broadcast, digital and events properties focused on providing quality content and services to its varied audiences.
A unique network of media assets and an unwavering dedication to quality differentiate Tiso Blackstar from its competitors and form the cornerstone of its sustainability and success.
The company leverages its assets across platforms to ensure its audiences remain connected, providing creative solutions and trusted content to enrich peoples’ lives, help people know more, do more and to be informed and inspired.
The company’s multi-platform and multi-discipline approach has helped develop communities and markets across South Africa, Africa and the rest of the world and will continue to be a key driver as the company expands its presence further in the years to come.
The Company was incorporated in England and Wales and has its registered office and place of business in Malta and Johannesburg. The Company is an investment holding company and is dual listed with a primary listing on AIM of the London Stock Exchange and a secondary listing on the AltX of the JSE Limited in South Africa.
Tiso Blackstar believes that it has the credentials for sourcing opportunities in its chosen sector and extracting value through proven entrepreneurial ability, together with alignment of underlying management. Tiso Blackstar has its roots in Africa, bringing a solid capital base together with operational focus on growth, return on equity, capital allocation and sustainability.
The Company has a broad spectrum of existing businesses with strong exposure to rapidly growing digital and mobile markets. Tiso Blackstar’s current geographic footprint is predominantly in South Africa and also includes growing businesses in Kenya, Ghana and Nigeria.
Current Media and related services businesses include:
- Publishing (Newspapers & Magazines – Digital & Print) – largest English language publisher,
Largest Sunday paper and Business paper, second largest digital publisher.
- Broadcasting (TV and Radio) – leading positions in lifestyle, business and motoring TV channels,
TV production, film distribution, music catalogues and radio stations (Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, KZN
- Retail and brand marketing solutions (Software, process automation, data, in-store, point of sale)
– Hirt & Carter and Uniprint are market leaders.
Tiso Blackstar will develop and grow its underlying investments organically and with bolt on value enhancing acquisitions. It will also consider new acquisitions that meet its investment criteria which are as follows:
Sector: Media and related services.
Ownership: Control or Path to control via debt or equity instruments.
Earnings: Established profitability and cash flow, with growth potential.
Acquisitions must be earnings enhancing or non-dilutive in value
Tiso Blackstar retains ownership in the following non-media related businesses which have been identified as non-core businesses to be sold at the appropriate time:
- Robor – the largest steel tube and pipe manufacturer and supplier across Africa.
- CSI – consisting of GRS, which is the leading metal roof sheeting manufacturer and supplier in SADC, together with Stalcor, which is the leading distributor of stainless steel and aluminium in South Africa.
- KTH – A diversified, empowered investment holding company with investments across sectors including media, services, mining and manufacturing. Tiso Blackstar has announced the conditional sale of its interest in KTH.